Out With the Old, In with the New. Why You Need a Well Planned And Integrated Patient Portal
For years, portal vendors have offered patient websites that to enable physicians and patients to conduct basic interaction using the Internet. These systems are often ad-hoc and not integrated into the complete practice workflow. In the age of MU2 and Patient Engagement, it is now a must to have a patient portal is directly integrated into your Electronic Heath Record (EHR) and practice management system. This will facilitate the seamless flow of information between the practice, patients and to engage patients and meet Meaningful Use Stage 2 requirements.
A well-planned and designed patient portal has a myriad of additional benefits for a medical practice:
- Frees staff member’s time to provide patient care
- Reduces no shows with automated reminders
- Educates patients
- Integrates collection of copays
- Ease of patient payments via portal
Cost and Revenue Benefits
- Reducing the number of office workers needed
- Increases number of patients seen
- Avoids Losses Due to Insurance Eligibility
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Practice review opportunities
A Well-planned Patient Portal that is integrated into a certified EHR is indeed a powerful tool.
Stay posted for our next upcoming blog “Design Considerations for a Patient Portal that Will Help You Meet MU Stage 2 Patient Engagement Requirements”